Saturday, July 23, 2011

More Holga

Picked up some photos from the Lomo Lab last night, it's a bit inconvenient for me to swing by so I usually only go when I have a few rolls that need development. Better luck this time around, I liked more of them than last time. A few of my favorites, the others are on flickr:












Sunday, July 17, 2011

Vintage frame purse

I haven't been going out to tag sales this year as much as previous years, I think part of the reason may be that the first ones I went to this spring had such amazing stuff that anything else would be a letdown. The first one I went to was run by an art history teacher, and she had some amazing vintage items. I figured I'd post this purse first, since I wore it with the dress below for July 4th.


The best shot I could get of the whole thing, it's fairly long. My best guess is it that was handmade out of an older article of clothing - it looks handstiched and there's some uneven beading on the back where it seems like pre-beaded fabric sections were used. It has two inner pockets, one in the short section and one in the long section. Also, the outside has another opening to a pocket you don't have to open the frame for, which was pretty convenient.


Frame detail


Corner detail

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dress, finished

I was a bit overambitious about how much I could do in the time I had so I did make a few changes from my original plan, the biggest of which is that the underlayer of the skirt is plain and not pleated. And, due to some poor decision making around midnight I took a bit too much off the bottom so it came out shorter than I had wanted. Overall, though, it came out decent and I finished in time to wear it for the event.


I need to adjust my dressform, it actually fit me quite well even though it's a bit loose here (especially on top).


Side view


Hem detail. The pleats didn't line up as well as I had hoped, though it was my first time making pleats so I'm not too disappointed. It took forever to topstitch them all and the material held it's shape fairly well so I probably didn't need to. Also, the topstitching on the waistband is a bit crooked, I hadn't realized how slippery the plain pink fabric was so it was a pain to work with.

Despite it's faults, though, I'm fairly happy with how it came out and it was nice to work on a challenging project for a change.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

More insipration and starting point

Another dropwaist dress, this time from Excentrique.




Fabric I'm planning on using, and a few sketched out ideas (I'm leaning towards either top right or bottom left).